Over the years we have been presented with pregnant patient’s concerns
about something that a well intending friend or relative has warned them
to be cautious about. We asked our staff to share with us their favorites.
Here’s a brief, albeit entertaining, list:
- Reaching above your head will cause the umbilical cord to wrap around the
- If you see something ugly when you’re pregnant, your baby will be ugly.
- A pointed belly indicates you are carrying a boy. If you carry your baby
sideways you have a girl.
- If you have heartburn your baby will have a lot hair
- Is it safe to drive while pregnant? (When is it safe to drive?).
- If you wear a crucifix, your baby will have a birth mark on their face.
- During postpartum do not go outside without a sweater or walk barefoot.
- Spicy foods can cause premature labor.
- If you eat saffron during your pregnancy, your baby will have light skin.
- Can I go on the Internet while pregnant?
On the other hand some advice warrants concern. The U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services recommends pregnant women avoid sushi altogether,
because raw fish may can contain bacteria and parasites. Other fish (Grouper,
Marlin, Orange Roughy, Swordfish, Shark, & Mackerel) are high in mercury
which can be a potent neurological toxin and hence should be avoided.
While we may never be able to set these superstitions to rest, if you listened
to these pregnancy wives tales you would probably sit and worry the whole
nine months of your pregnancy. We’re here to help too.