Role and Responsibilities
The Practice Nurse will work closely within the UCSF Oncology Clinic and
multidisciplinary team as a clinical resource, care provider, educator
and advocate. He/She will be utilizing both nursing practices and ONS
standards to assess, plan, and care for medically complex Oncology patients.
He/She will provide education to patients and families about diagnosis,
treatment, symptom management, and resources. The Practice Nurse will
provide coordination of care within the Clinic as well as with other specialties.
The nurse will triage and manage acute Oncology symptoms and laboratory
values utilizing both nursing process and standard operation procedures.
He/She will be responsible for obtaining authorization for oral chemotherapy
and procedures as assigned. The nurse will provide comprehensive care
utilizing both scientific knowledge and practice within the scope of the
California Board of Registered Nurses. In addition to performing the essential
functions listed below, may also be assigned other duties as required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Assesses physical, psychological, and emotional needs of patients and families.
- Utilizes the nursing process and ONS standards to assess, plan, and care
for medically complex patients..
- Communicates with providers and staff pertinent information about patient’s care.
- Obtains authorizations and appropriate consent forms prior to the start
of procedures and/or treatments.
- Obtains authorization for oral chemotherapy. Additionally, provides comprehensive
chemotherapy teach for all oral chemotherapy.
- Provides symptom management, financial assistance, monitoring for toxicity
and adherence to oral chemotherapy.
- Demonstrates quality nursing care to oncology patients from diagnosis through
the continuum of care to survivorship.
- Provides ongoing nursing skills of assessment, planning, and coordination
within RN scope and ONS standards.
- Coordinates care and subsequent appointments with surgery, radiation, plastics,
social work, genetics, and nutrition as appropriate.
- Participates in ongoing performance improvement and quality initiatives.
- Adheres to all regulatory and compliance policies and procedures. Follows
Title 22, OIG, HIPAA, State/Federal laws, and Clinic policies and procedures.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are
required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities
may change at any time with or without notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required
to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use
hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee
may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds.