Gastrointestinal (GI) Issues
Treatment for GI Disorders at Washington Township Medical Foundation
See a gastroenterology specialist if you are experiencing gastrointestinal
symptoms. There are numerous issues that can affect a patient, and some
are caused by significant disorders that require treatment from a professional
in the field. This page contains an overview of information about gastrointestinal
or “GI” issues and when seeing a doctor is a good idea. Our
team at Washington Township Medical Foundation is always available to
answer questions and to provide support and care for patients in Fremont.
We encourage you to ask a GI specialist from our team if you have questions.
What Causes GI Disorders?
A functional GI disorder is one where the bowel appears to be normal but
is not functioning properly. Examples of functional GI disorders include
irritable bowel syndrome and constipation.
Some of the most common causes of functional disorders:
- Not eating enough fiber
- Not exercising enough
- Significant changes to routine
- Too much dairy product consumption / lactose intolerance
- Use of some types of medications including some pain medications, antidepressants,
and iron tablets
- Resisting bowel movements
- The effects of consistent use of laxatives
Types of GI Disorders
Some examples of underlying conditions that can cause gastrointestinal
- Colon polyps / cancer, which affects 130,000 Americans every year
- Anal disorders including internal and external hemorrhoids, anal fistula,
and perianal abscesses
- Diverticular disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
If you are experiencing symptoms related to your gastrointestinal system,
visit a gastroenterologist at Washington Township Medical Foundation for